Saturday, May 12, 2012

Moist Rhubarb Cake

I hope everyone is having a spectacular weekend so far!  We've had gorgeous weather here -- the kind of weather that's perfect for having a garage sale! Yup, time to sell our crap gently used and much loved items from our home.  Our stuff mustn't have been too bad since we made a whopping $385!!  Oh ya baby. 

How did we do it?  We got our kids on board!  Back in the winter we had the kids help us clean out the pit of utter dispair that is our basement.  We have a huge basement but it slowly got filled with toys.  It literally looked like ToysRus threw up all over the place ... and then threw up again.  We had games, puzzles, Playmobile, naked Cabbage Patch dolls, plastic food, Mr Potato Head appendages strewn all over the floor, dress up clothes ... you name it, we had it.  There were toys that I know my kids haven't played with for years.  Why were we hanging onto this stuff?  We're sentimental and lazy.  A bad combo if ever there was one.

Brad and I knew we had to organize the basement but we are more than just pretty faces.  We quickly realized that in order to get the kids to part with their stuff (we were more than happy to sell our own stuff) they had to agree to it.  How did we entice them?  With the promise of a trip to Great Wolf Lodge with the proceeds of our sale!  Once they knew that trip was on the proverbial table they were all for selling some of their stuff.  We're talking about Zhu Zhu pets, a play kitchen, books, old bikes!!  It's all gone from m'house!!  We all couldn't be happier.

Garage sales aren't the only thing that we did this past week.  I also got baking again!! With the stress of work and just being plain tired I haven't been in the mood to bake.  But when I was offered a bunch of 'just picked' rhubarb I had to jump at the offer.  Who doesn't thankfully accept fresh rhubarb?!?!  No one, that's who.  There's something awesome about rhubarb that I just adore. Bake it into a cake, pie, muffin, cobbler, crisp and I'm in heaven.  This cake was delish, my friends!  Thanks go to Marian for the rhubarb donation that inspired this cake!

Unfortunately, I cannot rely on my own rhubarb at the current moment to provide for my rhubarb addiction -- I have but a few spindly pathetic stalks.  This is definitely not true for Marian's plant.  She gave me enough rhubarb to make this cake .... and put away eleven cups in my freezer.  It's May here people!!  In Canada!!!  Harvesting any sort of veg/fruit is unheard of!!

Let's just say that I was so excited to receive this gift of the 'barb that I spent my Tuesday night chopping up said rhubarb and then was baking this cake at 10pm.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.  It's got a great texture and is wonderfully moist.  The cinnamon/nutmeg topping mustn't be missed either.  It adds a nice, light spiciness to the cake.  This cake was perfect as a snack cake for the kids lunches and, truth be told, my lunch too.  Delicious!  With my stockpile of rhubarb in my freezer I will definitely be making this cake again soon!

Moist Rhubarb Cake


Yield: one 9x13-inch pan

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk (see note below)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup white flour
2 cups raw, sliced rhubarb (Update - May 15, 2012 -- I've increased the rhubarb to 2 cups from 1 3/4 cups due to personal preference)

Topping
3 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth.  Add egg and salt.  Stir in buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla.

In a medium bowl, blend together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.  Mix and add to the butter mixture.  Gently fold in the rhubarb.  Pour (batter will be very thick) batter into the prepared pan.

Combine white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.  Sprinkle over batter.  Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Note: I never buy real buttermilk.  Instead, I add white vinegar to 1% milk (1 tbsp of vinegar for every 1 cup of milk).  Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and voila! An easy (and slightly chunky) substitute for buttermilk.  Don't let the wee chunkies scare you. 

Tip: This recipe could easily be made into muffins.  Just decrease the baking time (try 15-20 minutes at 375F).

Note: If you have a moment I'd love it if you'd consider Pinning this blog post to your Pinterest account.  Just hover your cursor over the picture above (or any picture in any of my future posts) and a 'Pin It' button will appear {just like magic!}.  Click on the 'Pin It' button and share this post with all of your Pinterest peeps!  By pinning you'll also have an easy way to find your way back here!  If you'd like to follow me on Pinterest you can find me HERE.


5 comments:

bonnie said...

Laurie, my fellow rhubarb ravisher! Thanks to rain for days on end now (don't get me wrong, we desepraely needed it, but spaced out a littl emore would have made for a nicer May Long wknd and week following!) my rah rah rhubarb plant is going great guns! Question for you - have you ever stewed rhubarb in a slow cooker? My wonderful mom used to make the absolute best stewed rhubarb - the pieces of rhubarb remained intact and yet beautfully tender - not a bit mushy and the sauce was sweet-tart and lovely clear pink - agian- no mush! No matter how I try, I can't seem to keep mine from just becoming a rhubarb mess. A tasty mess albeit, but I long for the chunks-and-cler-rosy-broth kind. I thought doing it in the slow cooker might be the way to go as it will be SLOW (duh, no really!?!? lol) as I think I am so anxious for it that I either cook it too fast and/or too hot. Thoughts? (Maybe you should just email me since this is a ridiculously long post for your comment box... sorry!)
~Bonnie in Manitoba
hockeymombonnie@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is... WOW YUMMY!!!! I made this on the weekend. Two cakes. One was devoured by the family. The second I took to work and everyone went CRAZY over it. It is soo good and easy and I can not wait to make muffins with it! This cake is so moist and savoury. Thank you so much for sharing. Best Rhubarb cake recipe I have ever found!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Bonnie -- I'm not sure why the comment I left so many months ago is missing but I'll add another because I do so love your comments!

Sadly I have yet to 'ravish' my rhubarb plant this year but I'm thinking that in the next week or so I'll have to because I have a hankerin' for some of this cake! Mmmm, rhubarb!! Hope all is well with you in Manitoba!

Oh Anon, your comment made me smile. I'm so happy that you enjoyed this cake. I love how moist it is and how not overly sweet it is also. If you want to try some of my other favs, off the top of my head, you may want to try my Cranberry Orange Bread or Mandarin Orange Breakfast Bites. I currently have another fav in my oven - "The BEST Blueberry Muffins You'll Ever Eat". Totally delish! Thanks for the kind comment.

Lisa said...

Making this cake now! Taking it to a party! Can't wait!

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

Lisa -- I've made it once already this rhubarb season and was looking over my plants thinking it was time to make another batch. It's so moist and I adore the cinnamon and nutmeg on top!! Let me know what you think of it. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails